Dining Guide on the Whole30
The theme of my Whole30 certainly was “Live your life.” Any difficult situation that could come up in my Whole30 did. I hosted and fed a large group, I traveled, ate out multiple times, went to dinner at friends’ houses and travelled on planes, trains, and automobiles (ok not trains but you get the point).
Just a funny side note, I went out once with my family. It was the 28th day on the program and so I was in the 28 is as good as 30 mindset that happens on the Whole30 Timeline. We had a plan to go out, and I knew what I was going to get.
While at the restaurant the entire group decided they wanted pizza! Pizza was ordered for the table and the looks began. I felt the tug of, seriously, there is only 2 more days; it’s basically the same thing! But I thought of my accountability partner and ordered a bunless burger with a side salad.
Then the pizza came. The group started eating and I waited. I waited and waited. The waitress came out once and I asked about my burger. She had to go check on it. A few minutes later, after everyone was about halfway through with their lunch, she came back. She said they had to remake my burger because they accidentally put mayo on it! I waited again. 5 minutes after everyone was done with their lunch I got my burger. The wonderful waitress comped my burger and was so nice about it but I had to laugh. It was a hard time for a hungry girl to stay on the program but I was determined and I did it! Woo… that was a tough one.
I learned a lot through dining out on the Whole30 and want people to know that you can live your life while eating on the Whole30. While, you don’t want to eat out all the time, it is still nice to not have to cook once in awhile, especially while you are on the Whole30. So don’t worry about it! Go out with friends, say yes and enjoy a social life! It won’t kill you!
While I was on the Whole30, I used the Whole30 dining guide to help. I read through the guidelines at the beginning and was able to apply these principals throughout the time.
The big thing I did before going to the restaurant was look at the menu. Usually I narrowed my choices down to two compliant options and decided at the restaurant based on what I was feeling.
You can certainly get creative at any restaurant and take a look at the menu, ask questions and order special options but here are some of my favorites.
- Burger with a lettuce bun or served on a bed of lettuce with a side salad. Feel free to get all the veggie toppings you want. I had several burgers with guacamole, egg, or bacon. Ask for the salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil or bring your own dressing
- Cobb salad with no cheese. Bring your own dressing or ask for balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- Chicken sandwich with no bun and order the same as the burger*
- Steak with a dry rub with a side salad, baked potato, sweet potato or steamed veggies
* Be aware that chicken meat sold at restaurants is more likely to not be compliant than ground beef and steak.
- Eggs with bacon, roasted veggies and/or fruit. If you get an omelet, ask if they use milk in the omelet
- Fajitas with no tortilla or rice. Ask for it to be served with guacamole, and a side salad and turn it into a fajita salad!
- Grilled Chicken with steamed veggies
- Grilled steak with a dry rub and steamed veggies or a side salad
- Steamed Fish with steamed veggies or a side salad
- Cobb salad with your own dressing or ask for balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Fast Food Options
- Chipotle – Taco salad with Carnitas, any salsa except corn, and guacamole
- Five Guys – Burger on a bed of lettuce with any of the veggie options
- Jimmy Johns – Unwich with any veggies and mustard – best meats are salami and capicola
- Stick with a Curry but ask about sugar in the sauces
- Grilled and Roasted Meats and Veggies
Sides at Any Restaurant
- Side Salad with no cheese or croutons – with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or BYOD (Bring Your Own Dressing)
- Steamed, grilled, or roasted veggies
- Baked potato
- Sweet Potato
These are my go-to options! I hope they help!
Want more Whole 30 Dining Resources? Check these out!